You can prevent heart disease by following a heart-healthy lifestyle. Here are 6 tips from the Mayo Clinic.
1. Don't smoke. Tobacco both damages your arteries and makes your heart work harder.
2. Exercise for 30-60 minutes on most days of the week. This keeps your heart muscle toned, but it also helps to control weight and prevent depression.
3. Eat a heart-healthy diet, particularly a DASH diet or a Mediterranean diet.
4. Maintain a healthy weight.
5. Get enough quality sleep. People who don't get enough sleep have a higher risk of obesity, high blood pressure, heart attack, diabetes, and depression.
6. Get regular health screenings, particularly for high blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes.
Posted on Wed, February 11, 2015
by Heidi Gilchrist